Friday, April 18, 2014

What's the difference?

The Maneater and the Columbia Missourian

Basics

The Maneater is the independent, student-run newspaper at MU. It covers issues mostly relating to students and aims to serve primarily a campus readership. It is distributed throughout campus and the city twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays.

The Missourian is operated by the Missouri School of Journalism. Students work staff positions through classes they take and there are faculty editors who oversee the editing and production process. It recently cut back two daily editions, Monday and Saturday, and is now distributed Tuesday through Friday and on Sunday. It is one of two daily community newspapers, the other being The Columbia Daily Tribune.

Eligibility and Staff

To work for The Maneater, you must be an MU student enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours. You do not have to be a journalism major. Typically, the staff is composed of freshman and sophomores, with some upperclassmen.

To work for the Missourian, you must be an MU journalism student enrolled in a staff class or taking an independent study. Staff classes including reporting, copy editing, design, photography, info graphics and more. This is a class in which one must enroll as a part of their required sequence courses, and tuition is charged for taking the class. Typically, upperclassmen enroll in these classes once they enter their sequence.

Pay

The Maneater pays its staff members varying amounts for their work, so you basically work on commission. Editors are given a monthly salary. The Maneater also has a business adviser and a receptionist, both of whom are paid for by The Maneater.

The Missourian does not pay students who are taking classes through the School of Journalism. It pays faculty editors who also serve as professors at the journalism school, and there are also various paid positions for students.

Funding

The Maneater is funded entirely through its advertising revenue. It does not receive any funding from the university or through student fees; it is entirely independent from the university.

The Missourian is funded through MU's budget.

Location

The Maneater is located in G216 MU Student Center.

The Missourian operates out of Lee Hills Hall, which is at the corner of Elm and Eighth streets.