Sunday, April 30, 2017

Unknown Component: 'The Infinite Definitive' — 2 out of 5 stars

Judging the album by its cover, The Infinite Definitive looks more like a Nine Inch Nails-esque industrial rock album. But the only thing Unknown Component shares with NIN is the music is completely written by one guy.

Keith Lynch writes and performs the music and lyrics of all the tracks on Infinite. But unlike NIN’s Trent Reznor, Lynch's influence is detrimental in some aspects — a large portion of the songs on the album sound too much like one another. Obviously, having multiple people in a band allows for creative ideas to flow and mix with other ideas, but Infinite seems to be stuck in a comfortable sound and is too stubborn to deviate from its path.

The album's guitar riffs are elementary and the drums equally as rudimentary. But where Lynch excels is the vocals. His lyrics about a loss of identity struggle out of his mouth. His voice is stretched and pushed as he sings just out of his range. The result sounds like it hurts Lynch to sing these words — in a good way.

The strongest song of the album is by far “The Introduction is Arriving.” The song pairs heartbreaking lyrics with an upbeat, surf-rock instrumentation.

In the end, however, the album is too homogenous. Being the entire band is tricky no matter who it is, and Lynch falls short. Although Lynch is a talented wordsmith, that can only take this album so far.