Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Kings Of Leon: 'Come Around Sundown' — 2.5 out of 5 stars

The Grammy Award-winning band Kings Of Leon has released its new album Come Around Sundown. But after listening to the album, it is really hard to understand what the band is trying to accomplish.

On one hand, it looks like the band is trying to make its old fans like it again —- the ones who didn’t jump on the bandwagon once they started getting radio time. On the other hand, it sounds like it is just trying to play that cookie-cutter, over-produced clatter that all sounds the same —- U2, I’m looking at you.

Ranting aside, there are some songs that are enjoyable on this album —- at first. But then listeners slowly realize every single song sounds exactly the same. Now, there is some pretty impressive musicianship on this album, especially on guitar, but there are a lot of things, singing-wise, that shouldn’t be done with this band.

Caleb Followill historically has a soft whiny voice, but for the most part, he has stayed in his own vocal range. Come Around Sundown features him trying to reach notes out of his range, and it’s just “flat” out distracting.

Overall it’s not a great album. The first three songs are pretty interesting, but after that it all really starts sounding the same and gets boring. Meaning it’s probably going to win a Grammy.

Oct. 25, 2010 at 6:52 a.m.

Animal Magnetism : I was all on board before Only By the Night...and I still am. Just because we're all stuck up hipsters doesn't mean we have to pretend that everything that is popular sucks. Come Around Sundown is intense emotional vocals set over a haze of sexy rhythmic throb. Give it a chance, until you have shamelessly blasted any Kings of Leon album over shitty car speakers you haven't experienced it. Wash away your prejudice and enjoy the fucking music.