Sunday, December 21, 2014

REVIEW: Spring Awakening blows audience away

Tags: Theater

Anxious crowds of people filled the hall of Jesse Auditorium, from teenagers dolled-up in skinny jeans and short skirts to adults dressed professionally in blazers and cashmere. This is all hype for one of the most talked-about musicals of its time, and rightfully so.

In short, “Spring Awakening” is a high-energy musical in a story of teen adolescence focusing on sexuality, depression and suicide. But it is not just a show geared toward the youth it speaks of tradition versus modern revolution, religion, social structure and authority.

This show does not just tell you its points of views, it screams them. It cries to the deepest, darkest part of the heart in a passionate way that doesn’t seem awkward or forced.

The songs of the musical resemble the musical styling of Green Day and Taylor Swift, causing head banging and toe-tapping rhythms. The hypnotic melodies and gorgeous harmonies blend with lyrical words that, alone, tell the story of angst and passion. Every member of the “Spring Awakening” company shined on stage, but one stood out the most. Christopher Wood, playing Melchior, blew the audience away with incredible range, power and character development.

It is hoped that everyone in the audience paid attention to the warning sign posted before even entering the theater — The show includes nudity, coarse language and other adult themes. Therefore, viewers would probably not be comfortable going to see this with his or her grandmother.

Going to see this show is worth every penny spent, every hour waiting in line for a ticket and every time you blush. Viewers will laugh, cry and, by the end, want to get up, dance and scream at the top of their lungs, “BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!”