Monday, September 25, 2017

Weezer: 'Hurley' — 2 out of 5 stars

When did Rivers Cuomo become such an asshole? Oh, that’s right, about three albums ago. The Weezer front man seems to have a blatant disregard for his own body of work.

Weezer’s newest album cover features only a picture of Jorge Garcia, the actor most known for his role on the television show “Lost,” and the album shares its name with his character —- Hurley.

Such stunts have become fairly commonplace for the band in recent years. Cuomo collaborated with rap artist B.o.B., plus attempted to bring back the cowboy look and market Weezer-themed Snuggies —- aka Wuggies.

Can we really blame him? The end of Weezer’s reign as resident band of hook-heavy-guitar-pop geeks has led the group on an interesting tangent. It seems that this is the sound of a band with nothing to say.

Hurley continues on a theme that can be seen within the last few albums -— a fun-loving, rock star lifestyle that is hard to picture for any fan of the The Blue Album.

For Hurley, the band abandoned its longtime record company DGC/Interscope for indie record label, Epitaph. However, this attempt at attaining a modest level of punk “cred” was lost somewhere around track five, “Where’s My Sex,” an inside joke about socks that should have died long before the recording studio.

Although Hurley is not as bad as Raditude, it sure as hell is not going to change anyone’s life.

Nov. 12, 2010 at 1:02 p.m.

James Smith: i see where your coming from when you say that they sound like a band with nothing to say but you have to remember what weezer is all about. . .having fun. . .and u can tell that they actually had fun making this album and in my opinion they deserve credit for that. . .i actually look forward to seeing what they do with this new label and where they'll go from here. . .but yeah "wheres my sex?" . . no excuse for that lol