Sunday, April 30, 2017

Kanye West: 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' — 4.5 out of 5 stars

When Kanye wants attention, he demands it in all aspects of expression. Whether it is fine art, high fashion or verbally, he wants people to listen, and his new album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy achieves just that. West commands attention through the varied, creative use of the choir, guitars, classical instruments and sampled beats.

This album is classic Kanye, compared to his 2008 album 808’s & Heartbreaks, which experimented with his singing voice and had a focus on dark, melodic pop beats.

Not only does Kanye demand attention on this album, he wants to express and venture more culturally. A majority of the songs on the album are lengthy, such as his most famous single, “Runaway” and “Blame Game.” Both songs reference odes and sonnets from the old Renaissance greats. But the length of all these songs gives leeway for more instrumentals to shine such as guitar riffs and harmonious pianos. He has used these elements before on previous albums, but they’re more vibrant on Twisted Fantasy.

Each song on the album is strong with instant-hit potential. The guest stars on his album are a great blend of old and new rappers such as Pusha T, Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross and a spice of rock-folk singer, Bon Iver. A good song on the album demonstrating the mash of hip hop and folk in the album would be “Monster,” which mixes a majority of the artists listed above, fused with a jungle, psychedelic, old-school beat.

Every song on the album is good and worth a listen but let’s highlight the best of the best: “All of the Lights,” “Runaway,” “Monster" and “Lost in the World” are definitely the ones to listen to first.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is carefully crafted to express Kanye’s interests with classical antiquity, also expressed in his short film of the mashup of his songs. With the plethora of collaborating artists, the experimental sounds and the clever verses, Kanye’s new album is definitely worth a thorough listen.