Sunday, April 30, 2017

Girl Talk: 'All Day' — 3 out of 5 stars

A cacophony of popular songs and a strange array of beats define Girl Talk's new album, All Day. This album mixes an array of various top hits from the past and present, mashed up with a strange mix of an undesirable beat, making it sound much like someone toying with a pirated copy of Fruity Loops for the first time.

The first song, "Oh No," begins with a somewhat strong start, but overall, the track is a little lackluster. It begins with a solid rock beat, Black Sabbath's "War Pigs," which it then fuses with Ludacris' "Move Bitch."

But as the song goes further, it doesn't make sense and the clash of songs doesn't work. For certain parts of the song, the overlayed tracks don't mesh well together, making the overall product sound very elementary.

The majority of the songs begin with an unfavorable sound unable to entice the listener to move on with the song. But once into it, there are some terrific mash-ups. Unfortunately, the feeling of having to listen to something mediocre to get to something that is actually rewarding to hear isn't desirable.

The songs on the Girl Talk album are hit-or-miss, considering some of the mixes are genuinely good, but others aren't great. For a mix tape, it is very weak, considering some of the songs aren't great together and some of the beats are not pleasant to the ears. All Day has some good qualities to it with some special little gems such as "Let It Out," but falls short of other songs that seem to lack a thorough thought process.