Friday, June 23, 2017

Nicki Minaj: ‘Pink Friday’ — 3.5 out of 5 stars

Unarguably this year’s track whore, Nicki Minaj spent the better part of 2010 song-hopping and show-stealing on tracks like Ludacris’ “My Chick Bad” and Kanye West’s “Monster,” all the while gaining notoriety as rap’s newest and baddest starlet.

Consequently, expectations were high for the release of her first solo album, Pink Friday.

She didn’t disappoint.

Joined by her self-proclaimed alter ego, the pitiless Roman Zolanski, Minaj devotes a good portion of the album to the divalicious rap lyrics that put her on the map. Minaj releases the tiger that is Zolanski on the fierce “Roman’s Revenge,” a collaboration with Eminem. On “I’m the Best,” Minaj ascertains that she is, in fact, the best.

Perhaps, however, Minaj’s most impressive points are when she drops the squeaky and shiny Barbie-esque exterior on “Save Me” and “Moment 4 Life.” In these two tracks, Minaj relies on her vocals to carry the song -— not an alter ego or a flamboyant wig.

Let’s hope that Minaj’s longevity as an artist is comparable to that of the doll she claims to embody.

Dec. 1, 2010 at 10:12 a.m.

lil mizz swager: hey girl i luv u sooooo much ur my idol

Dec. 2, 2010 at 4 p.m.

NiKkI luvr: Aayo my fav track on dis album is itty bitty piggy fa sho! ImMa BaD b!tcH imma imma bAd B!tCh! love me some nikki minaaaaaj. and whoever wrote dis artikl knos they sh#t!

Dec. 2, 2010 at 4:27 p.m.

#1HibschFan: Mr. Hibsch, let me just say that I thoroughly enjoy all of your stories. I find you to be a very versatile and interesting writer. Keep up the good work! p.s. Long live Nicki Minaj, everyone's favorite track whore