Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Alter Bridge: 'AB III' — 4 out of 5 stars

Alter Bridge — AKA Creed in disguise — will be releasing its third album, AB III. Or seventh, since it is three-fourths of Creed. To Creed haters, the band is made up of great musicians who know how to use their instruments. Plus, Myles Kennedy is the lead singer for Alter Bridge, not Scott Stapp.

With that being said, AB III rocked — It had a little something for hard and soft rockers alike. The album starts out with really heavy songs that will get listeners throwing up the rock horns and even start head bangin’.

The middle of the album starts to show the softer side of Alter Bridge with heavy love ballads. But for once, it’s not a bad thing, as some of the songs feature the talent that they do have on drums in Scott Phillips.

The only real problem with this album is that guitarist Mark Tremonti is starting to do what Kirk Hammet from Metallica does and recycle old riffs and pass them off as new songs. The intro to “All Hope Is Gone” sounds suspiciously like the old Creed song “Higher.” But in his defense, this is the seventh album of which he has been a part, so repetition is bound to happen at some point or another.

Overall, AB III is a great album and Alter Bridge is a great band to listen to especially if rockers want to broaden their horizons outside of mainstream bands.

Nov. 8, 2010 at 1:58 p.m.

steve: Calling it Creed in disguise just shows how ignorant you are to thier music

Nov. 10, 2010 at 12:35 a.m.

Zach: I totally agree with you Steve. This guy doesn't know what he is talking about. I want to find this guy and debate music with him..

Nov. 10, 2010 at 7:40 a.m.

Justin : I think the writer was spot on. I thought this was very close to everything Creed tried, and failed, to do. Strong reporting.

Nov. 10, 2010 at 9:49 a.m.

goose egg: dumbass, its MYLES not MILES.

Nov. 22, 2010 at 6:41 p.m.

Ana: Excellent album, the music is great and smart, only downside is there's a few slow songs that drag the pace down a bit in the middle. It's still the best hard rock release of 2010 though. You guys should check out the bonus tracks on it, they're even better than half the songs on the album. I wonder why they didn't make it on the CD. My favorite song is Couer D'Alene. What a unique, heavy, melodic beautiful song!