Monday, June 26, 2017

Langhorne Slim at Mojo's — 5 out of 5 stars

Jesse Markway/Photographer

Throughout his 11-year career, Langhorne Slim’s closest brush with fame has been an appearance in an insurance commercial. But judging by his performance at Mojo’s Thursday night, audience members wouldn’t have known it.

Slim had no shortage of energy. He moved all around the stage, broke his fair share of strings and even ventured out into the crowd, opting to yell instead of use a microphone. In between songs, he had to pause and untangle the mess of cables he had created, while staff had to reposition monitors he had knocked about.

Slim and his band, The War Eagles, treated the crowd to a 90-minute set of new and old songs alike. Before playing “Collette,” Slim mentioned the song was inspired by a girl he met in Columbia years earlier.

“I talked to her for about four-and-a-half minutes, and she made it clear she didn’t want to talk to me for five,” Slim said with a laugh before launching into the song.

The crowd was enthusiastic, providing backing vocals on fan favorites such as “Cinderella” and “I Love to Dance.” But as much fun as the audience was having, nobody seemed to be having a better time than Slim himself.

“This is beautiful, just beautiful,” he told the crowd with a big grin on his face.

While The War Eagles took a break, Slim stayed on stage and played solo acoustic. The more intimate setting allowed him to break out some of his more sentimental songs such as “Worries” and “I Love You, But Goodbye.”

After the show ended, Slim snuck outside for some fresh air, and the audience reluctantly left, holding onto some small thread of hope that he might come back on stage. The show was over, but after a night like this, Langhorne Slim will hopefully return to Columbia in the near future. And maybe, just maybe, he’ll get another great song out of it.