Thursday, September 21, 2017

Daft Punk: 'Tron: Legacy' — 2 out of 5 stars

Disney continues its classic series this next week with its release of "Tron: Legacy." The soundtrack is created by legends in their own right, Daft Punk, and its release will precede the film. The French duo of Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, and their Daft Punk helmets, fit right into the world of Tron.

I am going to give the album a double rating: a two out of five for the album as a whole, and a three out of five when taking into consideration it is a film's soundtrack. The track titles and compositions with dramatic rhythms allow even the most absent-minded of rubes the ability to guess how the movie's plot will play out.

We should be excited by the fact "Tron: Legacy" would be scored by a band that looks and sounds like a couple of cosmic robots. The soundtrack has a familiar tone on two levels. It has the basic theme score of an action thriller, with tracks such as "The Game Has Changed" and "Flynn Lives," while maintaining the recognizable feel of all that is Daft Punk, with pieces such as "End of the Line" and "Solar Sailer." The album culminates with a nice combination of these two levels in "Tron Legacy (End Credits)."

Although I have taken into consideration Tron: Legacy is a soundtrack, it doesn't make up for the fact that this is a dreary purchase for even the biggest fan of either the film series or Daft Punk. I would not recommend wasting your money on either, honestly.