Friday, June 23, 2017

Jazmine Sullivan: 'Love Me Back' — 4 out of 5 stars

While Missy Elliott continues to tease the public by withholding her newest album, she’s still submitting enough to please us.

What I’m referring to is her consistent administering of musically adept divas: this time in the form of Jazmine Sullivan.

Sullivan’s sophomore album, Love Me Back, wows. The singer’s scratchy voice sounds similar to Mary J. Blige’s, but with a little more rasp. At only 23 years old, her voice’s sexiness far exceeds its age. It shines on “10 Seconds” and “Stuttering.”

There’s no “Bust Your Windows” this time around, but there’s still an adequate amount of bitchassness — notably because of “Redemption.”

Channeling her inner-raconteur, Sullivan begins the song reflecting on her experience as a young girl dating an older man, but quickly transitions to the perspective of the man. Sullivan vocally attacks the man, who was responsible for her degradation as a woman. Holding nothing back, this song is easily the album’s best.

The biggest concern with the album is its reluctance to stray from its overridingly breezy theme. “Excuse Me” and “Famous” further give credence to Sullivan’s vocal talent, but they sound faintly similar.

Nonetheless, Sullivan’s album will undoubtedly tide you over until the release of Elliott’s latest.