Monday, March 27, 2017

Sonny & the Sunsets: 'Tomorrow is Alright' — 3.5 out of 5 stars

In three words Tomorrow Is Alright is: catchy, quirky and agreeable. The album recipe: start with an immature teenage boy, add a dose of doo-wop and just a hint of a rainy day at the beach. Sonny & The Sunsets present a delightfully sloppy collection of songs, recalling a modern Velvet Underground. The music has a distinct and unique personality, putting a new spin on beach-pop love songs.

Tomorrow Is Alright was originally released in the autumn of 2009 via Soft Abuse, and is now being re-released by the record company Fat Possum Records. The front man and creative mastermind behind the Sunsets is Sonny Smith, who, in addition to being a songwriter, is a filmmaker, author and artist. The other band members are often represented by a variety of different individuals from the San Francisco area that act as a revolving door, inconsistently supporting Smith during shows.

Tomorrow is Alright is an easy listen with 10 songs all well under four minutes with the exception of the closing track, "Lovin' on an Older Gal," which sits at a solid six minutes and 30 seconds. The album opens with the cathartic ambiance of, arguably the best track of the album, "Too Young to Burn." It is followed by an odd assortment of ditties including, most notably: "Death Cream," "Strange Love" and "Chapters." While it is an easy listen, Tomorrow Is Alright is still a bit of an acquired taste.