Monday, March 27, 2017

The Walkmen: 'Lisbon' — 4 out of 5 stars

On their sixth studio album, The Walkmen whisk listeners away to another world with a stripped-down sound and vibrant new melodies. Unlike earlier works, Lisbon is lush with upbeat, happier melodies, rarely striking a depressing note. It captures The Walkmen's raw rock 'n' roll roots and celebrates them without throwing it in your face.

The album opens with "Juveniles," a sunny song that instantly sets the mood. The next song on the album has the highest energy of the collection - "Angela Surf City" is a fast-pace rocker to be expected from The Walkmen. From the outset of the album, the band shows us that this is, for the most part, a straight-forward rock record with a vintage feel to it.

The rest of the album has a similar tone and pace to it. After the only transitional track on the album, "Follow the Leader," the band really hits its stride. "Blue as Your Blood," and the album's single, "Stranded," are both romantic and warm.

"Victory," is intense without becoming angry — it's not scathing like "The Rat," but more of a celebratory tune, hence the title.

Some songs toward the end of the album take on a slower pace without becoming moody or unfocused, as they have on past records. "Torch Song" slows down the pace and features Beach Boys-style background harmonies — it's unexpected and one of the album's most shining moments.