Sunday, July 23, 2017

Weezer: 'Hurley' — 4.5 out of 5 stars

Weezer releases its third album within three years with Hurley. The album is Weezer's eighth studio album and the first on its new record label, Epitaph.

The album starts out with the first single, "Memories," a song depicting Weezer's early tours and shows. From that uncharacteristically synth-heavy song, the band goes back into familiar territory with the song, "Ruling Me."

Weezer even plays around with acoustic guitar on "Unspoken," a change of pace for a primarily electric guitar band. The band hasn't used any acoustic since their 2008 album Weezer (Red Album).

"Where's My Sex?" is one of the better songs of the album. The song is catchy and gives glimpses back to the classic Weezer album Pinkerton, which featured more adult-themed songs like "Pink Triangle" and "Tired of Sex."

There are some songwriting collaborations with Ryan Adams, such as on "Run Away," and Mac Davis on "Time Flies" -- Mac Davis is most noted for writing the popular Elvis song "In The Ghetto." And don't worry, hardcore Weezer fans -- Lil Wayne is not on this album.

There is one song with an interesting story behind it. Strange women following and messaging lead singer, Rivers Cuomo, on Twitter inspired the song "Smart Girls." The track was originally titled "Hot Girls," but Cuomo changed the title when he realized he didn't want to get strange questions from his young daughter.

In addition, the album includes fun songs like "Hang On," "Trainwrecks" and "Brave New World." And the deluxe edition features bonus tracks as well.

Hurley is actually a great album, a vast improvement from Raditude -- this album might remind fans of Make Believe, and possibly Weezer (Green Album). Hurley is a solid rock album and does not disappoint.

Sept. 14, 2010 at 4:27 p.m.

Chuck: Weezer just hasn't been good in forever, they just box 9 terrible songs up to accompany the 1 song they actually over-produced to sound acceptable. Then the radio plays that one song a hundred thousand times. My money's on Runaway or Brave New World, both of which don't even sound like Weezer. More like Paramore w/o Hayley Williams.