Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Margot and the Nuclear So and So's: 'Buzzard' — 3.5 out of 5 stars

From its cinematic chamber-pop beginnings to its most recent album, Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s never ceases to astound. Buzzard is rough, bizarre, and oddly poignant. It is a portal into the mind of front man Richard Edwards, where you cannot help but to examine the furniture for hours.

This dreamy and lewd portrayal of Edwards’ bittersweet melancholy feels uneasy. While it is a classic Margot production of pristine melodic rock, the new album is more earnest than those preceding it. It takes the listener on a weird, uneasy ride through a candid account of an emotionally unstable love interest, with a few stints into even stranger territory.

It is not surprising that. Buzzard shows a new side of Margot. The first album, Dust of Retreat, incorporated a fuller sound with picturesque ballads performed by the eight-piece band. Although it had a similar murky feel, it did not capture the morose honesty of the newest release. Their second and third albums were released simultaneously due to an artistic debacle with their record company, Epic. These two albums portray buoyancy that is uncharacteristic of the band.

After touring in support of Margot’s second and third album Edwards, dissolved the band and created a new line-up with two fewer members. Only three of the original members remain and the differences can be detected.

The album fascinates and disturbs interchangeably, with a defiant disposition that lacks moral fiber. However, conventional Margot fans will enjoy “New York City Hotel Blues” and “Claws Off.” Another honorable mention, “Earth to Aliens: What Do You Want?” is most possibly an endearing message to Bill Nye the Science Guy. . Buzzard has a distinct and unique personality that is course, wistful and above all, enthralling.