Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Stone Sour: 'Audio Secrecy' — 4 out of 5 stars

Stone Sour releases their third album Audio Secrecy¬ Sept. 7, although buzz for it began back in June, when the band made the song “Mission Statement,” available for free download on their website. Fans took advantage of the freebie and it was downloaded over 50,000 times.

“Mission Statement” is a great anthem for hard rockers and confused kids, with its heavy riff and the chorus, “Just tell me who I am.”

This band should sound familiar — it is the side project for Slipknot’s singer and guitarist, Corey Taylor and Jim Root. The band has had hits like “Bother” (which appeared on the original Spider-Man soundtrack) and “Through Glass.”

The album starts out with a short piano riff played by Taylor on the album’s title track, “Audio Secrecy,” which leads right into the powerful “Mission Statement” described above.

From the album's first single, the album goes into some catchy songs, such as “Digital (Did You Tell),” and the album’s second single, “Say You’ll Haunt Me.”

Audio Secrecy, like the other Stone Sour albums, have songs that steer away from their heavy metal sound, such as in the song, “Dying,” but picks right back up to that fun hard rock sound that wakes one up in the morning with the very next song, “Let’s Be Honest.”

In conclusion, Audio Secrecy has the same diversity of songs that Stone Sour’s past albums have been known for and the only main difference is the band decided to have a lighter sound than it’s previous albums. It is good to see that Stone Sour has the ability to show so much diversity and not just stick to a heavy metal album.