Friday, June 23, 2017

The Get Up Kids: ‘There are Rules’ — 4.5 out of 5 stars

After almost six years of being out of the spotlight and close to seven years since releasing its last album, The Get Up Kids is finally back with the release of There are Rules.

If you grew up listening to this band, you’re more than likely in for a surprise. The once-renowned “kings of emo” have definitely outgrown their title since their breakup in 2005. But, it hasn’t decided to turn into a band that grows up and decides to start churning out seven-minute “masterpieces".

It’s quite the opposite. Five out of the 12 tracks don’t quite hit the three-minute mark. One of the songs that definitely could be considered the best on the album is “Automatic.” It happens to be sung by guitarist Jim Suptic, and he does the song great justice.

The three opening songs for the album are the main reason this album gets a 4.5 rating instead of a 5. The third track on the album, “Shatter Your Lungs” (which the keyboardist, James Dewees, heavily contributes to) should have been left in the recording studio. The music is catchy if you like synth-pop, but, Matt Pryor’s mumbling vocals (this is most noticeable during the chorus) and the simplistic lyrics make this song the worst on There are Rules.

Some long-time fans may not appreciate what this album has to offer, especially if they are mainly fans of the band’s first three albums. But if someone can pick up There are Rules with an expectation to hear some really good alternative music that’s fused with tons of synthesizer, they will not be disappointed by this album.

Keep an open mind with this album. I promise, you won’t regret it.