Thursday, October 19, 2017

Dave Hause: 'Resolutions' — 4.5 out of 5 stars

Plenty of punk singers have gone solo over the past few years. Frank Turner, Chuck Ragan and Tim Barry among others have all traded in their electric guitars to play folk music.

But Dave Hause is taking a different path.

His first solo record is a departure from his work with The Loved Ones, but Resolutions is definitely not a folk album. It’s still a rock affair. Many of the songs have the power of a full band behind them, but instead of playing searing electric power chords, Hause opts to bring in acoustic guitar, piano and organ for a driving pop-rock sound.

Occasionally the arrangements can be a bit too polished. There’s a sense that these songs might be even better if they were stripped down to just Hause and his guitar. But thankfully, that feeling doesn’t detract much from the album as a whole. Hause’s lyrics are good enough that they instantly are brought to the forefront. Growing old seems to be something weighing on Hause’s mind.

On “Time Will Tell,” he wonders if he has that, “early thirties thing where some guys just go insane.” But even so, the ultimate tone of the album is hopeful. The album’s closer, “Meet Me at the Lanes,” tells the story of a night out with friends. It’s a great song, personalized by the fact that Hause populates the story with all of their names. “We need more of those nights / they always go too fast,” he sings.

Resolutions clocks in at just over 33 minutes. That may seem like a fairly short album, but there isn’t any filler. It’s a good listen from start to finish, and there’s never a need to skip a track. Hause’s first solo effort isn’t a classic, but that’s too much to ask anyway. It’s simply a really refreshing record, especially at this time of year.

As Hause says, “Let’s lose these winter blues and stumble home.”