Sunday, April 23, 2017

Drive-By Truckers: 'Go-Go Boots' — 2.5 out of 5 stars

Go-Go Boots, the ninth studio album by the alternative country band Drive-By Truckers has in it a few solid, authentic tunes, but musters up little for those outside of their selective audience. Patterson Hood leads the band through the twists and turns of the album, from the thin, twang-ridden vocals of the opening track "I Do Believe," to the heavier electric feel of the closing tune "Mercy Buckets."

Being part of such a small genre in an overtly commercialized music industry, DBT has an exceptionally "branding" sound. They achieve this through a mix of thin-bodied instruments spread tightly across each song, giving raw energy to many of their arguably mellow tracks. Hood and the crew take up the folk tradition marvelously in the sounds they create. Simple rhythms lay the groundwork for old roadhouse organs and blues slide guitars to be stacked on top of each other in an almost scattered fashion.

Songs like the album's title track, "Go-Go Boots," and "Dancin' Ricky" offer a little variation from the norm, implementing a tad more texture and rhythmic depth. Although solid pieces of music, these hidden gems are few and far between and ultimately cannot account for the 12 other filler tracks this album spews out in a mechanical fashion. Not to say that the latter aren't quality tracks, but instead it is their unbearable similarity that contributes to the album's main downfall. Versatility and variety are simply missing here, which could wreck any album's potential. This piece is no exception.

Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:36 a.m.

Babo: Wow. A website that gives Justin fucking Bieber 5 out of 5 only gives Drive=by Truckers 2.5 out of 5. Astonishing. An album by a prepubescent wanker outscores an album by a group of outstanding musicians and brilliant story tellers. Good work.