Friday, June 23, 2017

Cut Copy: 'Zonoscope' – 5 out of 5 stars

Zonoscope is the third studio album from Austrialian, synth-pop band Cut Copy.

Like most of Cut Copy’s work, this album is extremely accessible and instantly makes you want to dance. Their last effort, In Ghost Colours, seemed more like derivative house music or electronica then this one does. Zonoscope brings to light the rock side Cut Copy people forget.

The album grabs you from the first and possibly best song on the album, “Need You Now.” Leader singer Dan Whitford, soothingly leads you through the song’s catchy beat as atmospheric synths and driving drums escalate it into a full-blown dance anthem. Gracefully, the song leads you into the first, just as catchy single, “Take Me Over.”

The rest of the album follows suite, with incredible hooks for songs that make you want to dance and even sing. “Blink and You’ll Miss a Revolution,” is song that really captures this album in its essence. It’s lavishly produced. It starts in one place and ends in another. It reminds you of the 80s and not the bad part (Rick Astley, Bon Jovi), but the good like New Order’s dancier stuff.

Aside from a couple clunkers, Zonoscope is dance-party ready. Even the 15-minute track, “Sun God,” holds your attention and keeps you moving the whole time. It’s a truly great album for the warm weather that everyone needs after this extra-chilly winter. It’s the album that makes you wonder what happened to those awesome Australian indie bands you loved. What happened to Architecture in Helsinki anyways? What’ve the Lucksmiths been up to lately?

Feb. 17, 2011 at 10:22 p.m.

Ninny: (If case you were actually wanting to know...) Lucksmiths split and have release a DVD of their last show and tour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWXPs-_gCwQ Architecture have a new album coming out this year http://www.messandnoise.com/news/4181964 Any other questions???