Friday, August 18, 2017

Adele: '21' – 4.5 out of 5 stars

In early 2008, blue-eyed soul sensation Adele debuted her set of pipes with the release of her first album 19. This album was a critical and commercial success – it’s most notable single being “Chasing Pavements.” It’s now been three years since the success of that album and Adele is back with the same raw emotion that gained her such notoriety with her new work, titled 21.

21 is a remarkably bare album, incorporating only a minimal arsenal of instruments. It lacks filler tracks and instead focuses on Adele’s brilliant voice. Throughout the entire album, her heartfelt vocals paired with her intense dynamic control weave you through her struggles, sparing you none of the heartache she so generously shares.

As well as placing emphasis on such a genuine musical tradition that is the blues, Adele’s 21 offers some flexibility within her respective style. Tunes such as “Set Fire To The Rain” and “He Won’t Go” are probably the most “active” songs on the roster and they serve as a good preparation for the slower tempos of the following ballads.

The album’s U.S. release coincided with a captivating performance at the 2011 BRIT Awards of the song “Someone Like You.” This album, like its predecessor, was both a critical and commercial success, receiving an eight out of 10 stars from SPIN Magazine and debuting at no. 1 on the UK album charts. As a whole, the album is a rare treat of pure musical prowess that is seemingly scarce in today’s mainstream.