Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Beady Eye: 'Different Gear, Still Speeding' – 4.5 out of 5 stars

What do you call Oasis? A great band. But what do you call Oasis without Noel Gallagher? Still a great band. Beady Eye, the result of Noel Gallagher leaving Oasis, released its first album Different Gear, Still Speeding.

The question that a fan would ask is: “What does this album sound like?" To answer that question: it sounds like Oasis, but it’s mainly due to Liam Gallagher’s vocals. Musically, it sounds like The Beatles.

The second track on the album, “Millionaire,” uses what sounds like sitar, which gives the song a psychedelic feel that would make George Harrison proud. That song as well as “Standing On the Edge of the Noise” both sound like they were inspired by Sgt. Pepper-era Beatles. Beady Eye even pays homage to this influence with “Beatles and Stones.”

There isn’t really a bad song on this album. In fact, each song is so great that it is really hard to pick any one of them as the best song on the album. Different Gear, Still Speeding doesn’t have to grow on you, you don’t have to force yourself to listen to it and waste your time. It’s great on the first spin and will be great every other time you listen to it.

Beady Eye has proven that there is a place for it in the musical world without having to be associated with Oasis’s primary songwriter.

This album should be considered one of the top albums for 2011, but with releases by bands with huge followings and a lot of promotion Different Gear, Still Speeding might be overlooked by many people, which is a real shame because this really is a great album.