Friday, June 23, 2017

Patrick Stump: 'Truant Wave' – 5 out of 5 stars

If you love Fall Out Boy (which I most certainly do), do not pick up Patrick Stump’s new EP, Truant Wave, expecting to hear anything that remotely sounds like his former band.

Be forewarned; even the most hardcore Fall Out Boy fan could have trouble adjusting to Truant Wave. Although the album is listed under the alternative genre on iTunes, there’s not a very good way to really define the genre of what Stump is aiming for. Some songs are very R&B oriented, while some have an almost techno-feel to them. Guest appearances by Alph-a-bit and D.A. from the indie pop band Chester French also add to the randomness of the album.

When listening to the album, I was definitely impressed by a couple of things: Stump composed all of the music and played every single instrument for the album – he’s been quoted as calling himself a one-man band. “Big Hype" really shows off Stump’s wide range of vocals, while “Cute Girls” is reminiscent of a present-day Michael Jackson. “Love Selfish Love” and “As Long as I Know I’m Getting Paid” are the two best songs on the album, however. They both have a nostalgic dance-club feel to them and they’re both the kind of song that gets stuck in your head all day long.

While Stump might not have the lyrical talents of FOB bassist Pete Wentz, his showmanship, vocals and catchy songs make up for it. Truant Wave is a must-have if you want to try out a new type of music with a bit of an old-school feel.