Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Lykke Li: 'Wounded Rhymes' – 4 out of 5 stars

Li’s debut album, Youth Novels, served as an electro-pop-groove anthem for those who enjoy circling the dance floor on their toes, and for those who’ve grappled with the pangs of heartbreak. Wounded Rhymes, the sophomore album release of Swedish femme fatale Lykke Li, continues to center around the perplexities of love, but emits the maturity and sensuality of a 24-year-old woman.

Produced by Bjorn Yttling, of Peter Bjorn and John, Wounded Rhymes is introduced with “Youth Knows No Pain” a proclamation to all that is burgeoning and full of angst. The roar of drums and an addition of the use of an organ emphasize a distinction of the Lykke Li we knew, and will get to know anew.

Wounded Rhymes haunts you with sweet ballads such as "I Know Places" and "Jerome." Li’s off-kilter vocals radiate in "Unrequited Love" with the repetition of the opening lyrics, “once again it’s happening." At times the clamor of the percussion, hand claps and synthesized beats inhibit the listener from hearing the anguish in Li’s lyrics. Although the overall effect creates a mood of relentlessness and perseverance: the central theme of Li’s work.

Fans of Lykke Li will not be disappointed. The high-spirited playfulness affiliated with Li is displayed in this album, in conjunction with a new found sexual prowess. All in all, Rhymes leaves us waiting to find out what is next.