Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Noah and the Whale: 'Last Night on Earth' – 3.5 out of 5 stars

The English Indie folk sensation Noah and the Whale released its third studio album, Last Night on Earth, on March 15 in the United States. This is the band’s first album since the departure of Doug Fink, brother of lead singer Charlie Fink. The first single released, “L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.” is currently at No. 19 on the UK singles chart, its highest position thus far.

The album starts off with “Life Is Life,” a groovy track that, instrumentally, could easily be backing material for a Lupe Fiasco or Wiz Khalifa song. The rest of the album strays from the heavier bass lines of the opening tune and sticks with a more live instrument feel. The album’s famed single, “L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.” is a feel-good song that seems to encourage listeners to enjoy life. Arguably the most classic rock-oriented song on the album is “Waiting for My Chance to Come.” It implements some high-pitched acoustic guitar chords that mix well with the violin ensemble and distorted keyboard runs.

All in all, the album is quite a solid display of modern folk being taken in new directions. The lyrical content is overwhelmingly reminiscent of the youthful days of yesteryear. Tom Petty-esque vocals, ambient background instruments and bouncy bass lines all come together in a very structured way to make Last Night on Earth an ear-appealing mix of Indie folk music. Although Noah and the Whale musters up more for the average listener than most folk artists, commercial music-lovers beware – it’s a far cry from Lady GaGa.