Saturday, June 24, 2017

Green Day: 'Awesome As Fuck' – 4.5 out of 5 stars

Awesome As Fuck is the best way to describe the latest release from Green Day. Unlike their previous live album, Bullet In A Bible, Awesome As Fuck doesn’t just focus on the bands latest album release. The set list contains songs that span across its entire career, from 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours all the way to 21st Century Breakdown.

There is a lot of hype around this album because Green Day plays an unreleased track “Cigarettes and Valentines.” Even though it is exciting as a fan to hear the track, the real highlights are the songs later in the set that feature its early work.

Billie Joe Armstrong says to the crowd, "You guys want to hear some more old shit or what?” before going into what might be the best performance on the album, “Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?” Some of the songs reach far back into the band's history – the album includes songs from before the band signed onto its major record label. It probably would have been funny to see the looks on the faces of “fans” at these concerts when they realize Green Day had really good songs before 2004.

One of the best parts about Awesome As Fuck is that you actually feel like you are at a Green Day concert. You feel as if you are part of the crowd as they yell, cheer and sing along with the band.

Awesome As Fuck is an overall great album, it's great for old fans because it features Green Day’s older music, and at the same time it exposes younger fans beyond the relm of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown.

March 23, 2011 at 6:23 a.m.

Bob Saget: Nice review, although its 1,039, not 1,309 :)

March 23, 2011 at 7:29 p.m.

Patrick: 2004? I think you meant to say 1994, when Dookie came out..