Sunday, April 23, 2017

Carrie Nation and the Speakeasy: 'Carrie Nation and the Speakeasy' – 5 out of 5 stars

Many genres of music have experienced major transformations in the past 25 years. At times certain genres are unrecognizable from what they once were. Therefore, it is pleasant to see individuals staying true to a genre, such as Carrie and the Speakeasy and their self-titled album. The five-person band, composed of Jarrod Starling, Tyler Grubb, Zach Starling, Matt Dreher and Brody Welling, are obviously purists of the genre of folk music – and it shows in their album.

In the opening track, the bouncy, stirring “Mama’s Little Baby," the group establishes a vibe that makes you feel as if you're in a speakeasy. This is the type of music I would envision listening to if I were in Oklahoma in the 20s. It is simply music that will have you tapping your feet – it is for the uninhibited person.

The other standouts, the bold “Drunkle” and the soulful “13 Riders” will immediately grab the attention of listeners. Every track has its highlights, with the exceptional arrangements of songs from a genre seen by some as dated and irrelevant. While the folk genre continually releases amazing music, it does not get the attention it deserves. Let’s face it, in the past 25 years, have you heard folk songs played on MTV?

The album may be indistinguishable from folk records from yesteryear but it is still very enjoyable and full of unique, home-grown music that will make you tap you toes.