Thursday, September 21, 2017

TV on the Radio: 'Nine Types of Light' — 4.5 out of 5 stars

TV on the Radio's newly released album Nine Types of Light is nine kinds of awesome. Not only has TVOTR produced an aesthetic funk album, but it has also created a dynamic hour-long film to accompany Light's 10 songs.

The song "Caffeinated Consciousness" sounds like the band is drinking a Monster throughout the making, and this keeps you wanting more. Starting with high-energy guitar and keyboard elements, the song flows into a soothing bridge, and then bumps right back into the upbeat verses again.

"It might be impractical to seek out a new romance/we won't know the actual if we never take the chance," are the first lyrics that set the beautiful, melancholic tone in song "Will Do," arguably the best track on the album. With its neat riffs and lullaby-like lyrics, "Will Do" will have you lovesick - in a good way.

"Second Song," a track with a folksy feel, and "No Future Shock," a track that could be 2050's latest dance craze, show off the versatility of the band. Both songs use interjections of horns and piano, but in "Second Song" the instruments are used to make the melody grandiose, while "No Future Shock" uses them to pump up the chorus into a bouncy frenzy.

Yet, the songs from the Nine Types of Light aren't the only songs worth mentioning here. The video that accompanies the album release collages compelling interviews, movie-type film and picturesque music videos into one gratifying piece. The result is a music video straight out of a Levi's "Go Forth" ad campaign.

Nine Types of Light's few downs include its ambiguous lyrics and occasional fuzzy percussive elements, but overall its effect is exhilarating and dreamy.