Friday, August 18, 2017

Lady Gaga: ‘Born This Way’ – 2.5 out of 5 stars

One of the most anticipated albums of the year, Lady Gaga’s Born This Way is in stores and selling quickly among Gaga fans. But is all the hype of Lady Gaga’s new album really worth it?

Well, her album is definitely different from her previous ones, but as I listened to the album, I was constantly reminded of artists from the ‘80s.

The single, “Born This Way,” has been compared to Madonna’s “Express Yourself.” The hook in “Bloody Mary” sounds a lot like The Human League’s 1981 hit “Don’t You Want Me.” And a lot of the other tracks use the Madonna talk-with-the-beat technique.

One of the only things I found to be unique to the album was when Gaga sings in foreign languages in the songs “Americano” and “Scheiße.”

Throughout “Born This Way,” Gaga uses an electric dance theme with a rock twist. The overall tone is very dark — even the artwork on the cover is dark and twisted.

Meanwhile, it seems that for almost every track, Gaga’s voice is distorted. If you have listened to Gaga live, you know she has a great voice. It would be nice to hear her use it more often.

For me, this album needs more than ‘80s-era dance songs and auto-tuned music.

Overall, Lady Gaga’s new album does not live up to my expectations. This album may be good for the club, but not for road trips or beach days. If you are looking to dance or you’re a huge Gaga fan, then I’d recommend you buy it. However, if you are searching for a summer album, save your money.