Monday, March 27, 2017

Arctic Monkeys: 'Suck It And See' – 4 out of 5 stars

Relaxed is the feeling you get after listening to the Beatle-esque album by the Arctic Monkeys, Suck It And See. For first-time listeners of the band, do not get thrown off by the title of the album — the Arctic Monkeys is not a vulgar band.

Suck It And See sounds like it could have been taken straight from The British Invasion. Songs such as “She’s Thunderstorms” are easy to listen to with their catchy lines. One of the many highlights of this album is the song “Don’t Sit Down ‘Cause I Moved Your Chair.” The song features an old-school blues riff that will make music fans from the ‘60s and ‘70s reminisce about The Rolling Stones and The Doors. “Library Pictures,” the shortest track on the album, is a great example of how bands can showcase great musicianship in short tracks. This shows how sometimes the shortest songs can have the greatest effect.

However, the “feel” of Suck It And See changes as the album progresses. The soothing feel early on in the album shifts to an upbeat vibe in the middle and then returns to the calming feel for the close of the album.

Suck It And See is an album that has a lot of great tracks, and it shows how much influence music from the ‘60s still has on modern musicians.