Saturday, June 24, 2017

All Time Low: 'Dirty Work' – 3 out of 5 stars

All Time Low's new album, Dirty Work, carries a sense of familiarity. Many of the songs on this album have catchy hooks and fun lyrics, the things that made the pop-punk genre popular.

An example of how these cutesy cliché hooks sound is in the song “Forget About It," with the lyrics “cause I fe-el like a bad joke, walking tight ropes to hold onto you-u.” One song to expect to hear a lot of is the single “I Feel Like Dancin’.” It’s a song that you’d expect a bunch of girls to sing loudly in their cars as they pass you on your way to class. As they drive by annoyingly singing, “I feel like dancing tonight, I’m gonna party like it’s my civil right,” you can miserably sing in your head, “give me therapy” (a lyric from one of the band’s older songs).

One song that does go a little out of the ordinary for the band is “Return The Favor.” However, this track won’t be one of the album's popular songs and will see little to no radio play. It almost sounds like a song straight from a musical. Avid music listeners, not just All Time Low fans, will be able to appreciate this song.

But after that unique track, the album continues with fun-filled music, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing because it accomplishes what is typical of an All Time Low album. If you’re someone who doesn’t like pop-punk, or is in the pop-punk scene, you’re probably not going to like this album. But if you are into this sort of thing, or if you just want to feel like a teenage girl for some reason, then this album is right up your alley. There are plenty of enjoyable songs on this album, so for once you don’t have to act as if you like the song; you can actually enjoy it.