Sunday, November 23, 2014

Incubus: 'If Not Now, When?' -- 4 out of 5 stars

Fans of Incubus may be caught a little off guard by If Not Now, When? The band takes its sound in a different direction, but it’s not necessarily a bad thing.

If Not Now, When? begins with three songs that really set the relaxing tone for the rest of the album. Coming after the first two tracks is the song “Friends and Lovers," which was kind of a let down. It felt like the band wrote it as a filler, and it does little to improve the album. This track does not bring down the entire album, however. The rushed vocal line “because we are friends and lovers,” sticks out like a sore thumb.

“In The Company Of Wolves” is the longest track on the album, at 7:34, and it sounds like it belongs on an Oasis album rather than an Incubus album. The song starts out with a familiar-sounding riff, similar to those of The Rolling Stones. It is almost as if they put two songs together. The track starts out slow, fitting the feel of other songs on the album, but in the middle, the sound takes a great shift. The shift takes the mellow sound to a sound that makes it seem like you are “in the company of wolves.” The shift is so great that it almost makes you forget you are listening to the same song.

Older fans of the band would enjoy the songs “Switchblade” and “Adolescents” because they are some of the few songs that have that older Incubus sound. “Switchblade” features a lot of scratching and brings some edge that older fans may miss on many other songs on this album. “Adolescents” has the “Incubus sound” that made the band successful.

Anyone hoping for an album made up entirely of songs reminiscent of the band’s older hits is going to be disappointed. However, people who are interested to see more of what Incubus has to offer will enjoy this album.