Wednesday, September 20, 2017

We Came As Romans: 'Understanding What We’ve Grown To Be' – 4 out of 5 stars

Hearing metal-core that has a positive message may sound like a rarity to some people, but We Came As Romans have done this feat for a second time on “Understanding What We’ve Grown To Be.”

“Understanding What We’ve Grown To Be” begins with the high-energy track “Mis//Understanding.” This track will pump you up and get you moving from the very first line, “Am I misunderstanding this now?” You might even find yourself head banging at the start of the breakdown when the gang vocals kick in, shouting, “So unsure, of everything.”

For people who either are trying to get into the genre or recently started listening to this type of music, a song that will help ease your way into this style of music is “Cast The First Stone.” The track begins with a rock guitar line, goes back and forth with clean vocals and scream vocals and actually builds up to the breakdowns. We Came As Romans have shown that you can construct a song that efficiently uses breakdowns, unlike other bands in the genre that just do breakdowns just to do them.

One interesting piece of this album is that it has songs like “A War Inside” and “Views That Never Cease, To Keep Me From Myself” that feature a clean piano line playing with distorted guitar. That may sound a little strange, but the band made it work. On “A War Inside” the piano line was even played during a breakdown, and later in the song the piano was played accompanied by drums and clean vocals, which changed the sound and feel to almost a different genre. It is fun when a band experiments like this and makes it work.

During the middle of “Views That Never Cease, To Keep Me From Myself” the band alludes to one of its older songs with the line “This is my deepest dream.” This song uses the lyric differently to question or try to understand a situation.

The title track of the album is an uplifting song: “I Feel Endless Compassion, Forgiveness, and Love.” Yet, the song is still very heavy and is the best example of how a song in this genre can have a positive message.

“Understanding What We’ve Grown To Be” is an album that shows how metal-core is more than just anger and breakdowns. Songs can have a positive message and be constructed very well.