Tuesday, July 22, 2014
On Campus

Trans Awareness Week occurring this week

Tags: LGBTQ

Beginning Monday, Trans Awareness Week will feature a weeklong slew of events intended to provide a safe and educational experience for all attendees.

On Monday, the InsideOUT Program, which seeks to provide a forum for discussion on a number of issues LGBTQ individuals and allies face, will host Trans 102. Fludity will join InsideOUT for an in-depth discussion on transgender topics, spanning identities, experiences and politics. The dialogue will begin at 6 p.m. in the Center for Social Justice.

The following evening, four panelists who identify as transgender, gender fluid and gender non-conforming will answer questions from attendees of the Trans Awareness Week Trans Panel. Each will disclose short synopses of their lives and coming out experiences. The panel will begin at 7 p.m. in Arts and Sciences room 104.

Wednesday’s Triangle Coalition will be a social event at the regular meeting time, 7:30 p.m. in the CSJ. For the social, people are encouraged to express their gender to their pleasing. Snacks and beverages will be provided.

At 10 a.m. Thursday in Speakers Circle, a number of members of MU’s LGBTQ community will read the names of transgender students and others who have died. Later, Fluidity will host an open meeting at 6 p.m. in the CSJ. Co-sponsored by Men Against Relationship and Sexual Violence and Stronger Together Against Relationship and Sexual Violence, the discussion will provide insight on how to prevent the harassment of transgender individuals, as well as how to be a Green Dot and advocate for this community.

The week will end Friday with a brown bag lunch. The event offers another opportunity to discuss transgender issues and the week as a whole. It will begin at 11 a.m. in the CSJ.