Tuesday, September 26, 2017
On Campus

Texas A&M System to pay faculty based on performance

The Texas A&M University System plans to make some changes to the way its professors are paid, according to a report from the Bryan-College Station Eagle. Using a cost-benefit analysis of their work, each faculty member is evaluated in three areas: salary, how much external research funding they received and how much money they generated from teaching. Officials add the funds generated by a faculty member for teaching and research and subtract that sum from the individual's salary. According to the report from The Eagle, the new process aims to show who is pulling their financial weight.

Once complete, officials hope the system will become an effective, lasting tool to help with informed decision-making among personnel.

According to The Eagle’s report, the plan has not been received well by faculty. Peter Hugill, A&M's chapter head of the American Association of University Professors, called the prospect a "silly measure."

The project, tentatively called "The Texas A&M University System Academic and Financial Analysis," will be presented to the A&M System Board of Regents, and, when complete, be available to the general public.

Sept. 4, 2010 at 11:06 a.m.

czander: Edward Deming writing, about 14 points needed to transform management and the corporation, believed performance appraisal or pay for performance and bonuses were counterproductive and simply bad management. In his point #3 called – Evaluation of Performance, Merit Rating, or Annual Review- and he proposed their eradication. Deming writes, “The performance appraisal nourishes short-term performance, annihilates long-term planning, builds fear, demolishes teamwork, nourishes rivalry and politics… it leaves people bitter, crushed, bruised, battered, desolate, despondent, dejected, feeling inferior, some even depressed, unfit for work for weeks after receipt of rating, unable to comprehend why they are inferior. It is unfair, as it ascribes to the people in a group differences that may be caused totally by the system that they work in.” In other words, commitment is destroyed. It is commonly understood that performance reviews, pay for performance, and incentive systems have little to do with the motivation, but they are successful in punishing employees and rupturing relationships. Many studies point out that rewards actually undermine the very process they are intended to enhance. In agreement, Deming believed that extrinsic motivators were a fallacy. When asked the question, “Is money a motivator?” he replied, “It is not!” He believed the same applies to all forms of extrinsic motivators, they do not motivate. When it comes to intrinsic motivation the relationship between reward and motivation is more complex. For example, offering rewards for easy tasks or just completing a task may lower intrinsic motivation. It is a mistake to assume that employees are motivated in predictable ways by differential rewards and punishments.