Friday, September 19, 2014
On Campus

Lago selected as consulting director for UM Press

Jane Lago, former managing editor of the UM Press, will serve as consulting director for the institution in its transition to the MU campus, MU Provost Brian Foster announced Friday. She will begin work Oct. 22 and stay until the selection of a permanent director.

Lago will help the 54-year-old firm as they begin their “national search for a permanent director,” Foster said in a news release. 

“Jane Lago is a long-term Press employee who brings a great deal of experience and expertise to the press,” he said in the release. 

Lago, who was an employee of the press for 33 years, worked as an editorial assistant, assistant editor, editor, senior editor and managing editor. 

After leaving the Press in 2008, Lago is “looking forward to returning,” she said in the release. She intends to focus on “fundraising” and “taking advantage of the support that has been publicly displayed for the Press over the last several months.”

“I’ll be working closely with Clair Willcox and the other Press employees as we focus on getting the Press back up to speed,” Lago said in the release. “One of my tasks will be to review and analyze what the Press most needs to move forward.”

Lago said in early October that the fastest way to bring the press back to where it was would be to reinstate Clair Willcox as the editor-in-chief. The second step would be to hire a permanent director who can address a specific vision for the future of the press, Lago said.

Lago emphasized the challenging nature of the task.

“I’m feeling that the press has been so badly damaged that it’s going to be an extremely uphill effort to bring it back to even half of what it was before all of this began,” she said.