Tuesday, July 22, 2014
On Campus

Second major infraction issued to Maass/Catalano, slate not expelled from race

The Board of Elections Commissioners issued a second major infraction to MSA presidential slate Spencer Maass and Shelby Catalano this morning.

After the first major infraction issued Monday, Maass/Catalano was given 4 hours from 3:37 p.m. to take down all campaign materials, including online materials. The campaign failed to do so, and, at 7:37 p.m., its website and Facebook page were still online.

The BEC is allowing Maass/Catalano to remain on the ballot despite the BEC handbook's outline for expulsion from the race after two major infractions. The slate is not allowed to campaign for the remainder of the election, including during voting from Nov. 5-7.

"Ultimately the BEC feels that the electoral process is better served with more candidates on the ballot," members of the BEC said in an email. "The BEC feels that slates should only be removed from the ballot in instances of gross misconduct or for willful violations of handbook guidelines. This does not seem to have occurred here, rather, someone didn't get the message to take the material down in time."

Should Maass/Catalano choose to appeal the infraction, the case would go to MSA Student Court, and all agreed upon terms would be null and void. If the Student Court rules in favor of the BEC, Maass/Catalano could face expulsion from the race.

Any violation of the terms outlined in the sanction would result in Maass/Catalano's immediate expulsion from the race.