Wednesday, July 23, 2014
On Campus

MU officials hold memorial in honor of Sandy Hook Elementary School victims

University of Missouri officials held a memorial service in honor of the Sandy Hook Elementary School victims Monday Dec. 17.

Chancellor Brady Deaton led the memorial, walking from the north porch of Jesse Hall to the north Columns to lay a wreath, according to a MU News Bureau press release. The bell in Switzler Hall rung to conclude the ceremony.

"Please convey our sympathy, concern, abject horror and total commitment to doing so much better with our society, with our educational system and everything we do [to Newtown]," Deaton said to MU Research Reactor Center cap coordinator and former Newtown, Conn., resident Charles Allen, in an article in MIZZOU Magazine. "We send the simple message, one of deep concern, deep compassion, common identification as part of the human family and unyielding hopes for the future."

Officials in attendance included Deaton's wife, Anne, and members of the chancellor's staff and Provost Brian Foster's staff.

Vigils and tributes have been held around the world for the Sandy Hook Elementary School victims, according to Time Magazine. 27 people, including 20 children, were killed by an armed gunman in a mass shooting Friday.

Funeral services for the victims have begun in Newtown, according to the Huffington Post.