Thursday, November 27, 2014
On Campus

UM System announces press changes

The UM System published a press release yesterday announcing a "reimagined" UM Press system.

In May, plans were announced to phase out the press starting in July. The move raised controversy both locally and nationally, with supports of the Press protesting at the June Board of Curators meeting.

“This new 21st century press will enable the University of Missouri to be an innovator and nationwide leader in university publishing at a time when traditional academic publishing is being challenged to maintain its position as the main venue for scholarly book publishing,” Chancellor Brady Deaton said in the release. “By launching a press that is creative, cost-effective and in line with the university mission of educating students and advancing knowledge, MU can develop a model for a new kind of university press that effectively integrates a significant publishing enterprise with high-quality, hands-on education and training of students in new publishing technology and practices.”

The new press will be a part of the Mizzou Advantage/Media of the Future, according to the release. Speer Morgan, head of The Missouri Review, will direct the latest incarnation of the press.

“The guiding principle of the press will continue to be the quality of the works we publish,” Morgan said in the release. “We will begin an immediate national search for an editor-in-chief who can provide a long-term outlook and strategic plan for the press. That person will have broad editorial authority, will take an entrepreneurial approach by embracing the opportunities presented by new communication technologies, will perform a faculty role in mentoring graduate assistants who work for the press and will expand and enhance the existing University of Missouri Press brand.”

The new press will benefit from added help from "scholarly communication" within MU, according to the release.

Stay with The Maneater for continuing coverage of the UM Press.