On Campus

MU Doctors investigated for plagiarism

Two MU doctors are currently under investigation after being accused of plagiarism by The American Journal of Medical Sciences.

In a retraction notice posted Aug. 9, the journal said doctors Amar Jadhav and Anand Chockalingam "plagiarized significant aspects" of a previous article. The journal accuses Jadhav and Chockalingam of plagiarizing from the 2006 article "Heart" by Dr. G. A. Ng. article, in their article "Ventricular Ectopic Beats: An Overview of Management Considerations."

MU spokesman Christian Basi said MU learned of the claim in early July but did not begin the investigation until August because several people needed to conduct the investigation were away from campus.

Basi said if MU concludes that Jadhav and Chockalingam are found guilty of research misconduct the punishment can vary.

"It will depend on the circumstances and what is found," he said. "Researchers who are found to have committed research misconduct are subject to discipline that includes termination, but there is a wide range of potential actions."

Basi said this does not happen often at MU.

Basi said there probably won't be updates on the investigation for several weeks. 

"We want to make sure we're covering everything and including all relevant material, so we don't want to rush anything in this procedure," Basi said.

The journal did not respond to requests for comment.