Thursday, October 2, 2014
On Campus

MU College of Education Dean decides not to fill position sought by Larry James

In a letter sent to MU College of Education faculty and staff, Dean Daniel Clay said he decided not to fill the position of division executive director at this time, The Columbia Missourian reported Friday morning.

The possible hiring of one of the candidates considered for the position, Larry James, was the subject of protests due to his connection to the abusive interrogations at the Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo prisons. Matthew Burns, of the University of Minnesota, was the other candidate in consideration.

The search for the position was halted "after receiving the recommendation from the search committee regarding the search for a new division executive director along with input from other stakeholders," Clay said in the letter.

Dr. Mike Pullis will serve as interim director when Dr. John Wedman retires Feb. 28. and will serve in the role until another individual is hired.

Read The Maneater's report for more information on James and the hiring process.

Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:11 p.m.

Steven Miles, MD: MU made a wise decision. I spent 7 years reviewing government documents pertaining to US military physicians' and psychologists' complicity in human rights abuses during the War on Terror. Larry James oversaw a system of brutal interrogations before playing a role in clearing up that system after its abuses became a matter of public knowledge. He is not a suitable role model or educator. Steven Miles, MD Maas Professor of Bioethics Author, Oath Betrayed: America's Torture Doctors.