Saturday, June 24, 2017
On Campus

MSA passes resolution regarding bus ordinance, confirms SJC chair

The Missouri Student Students Association Senate passed Resolution 54-06 on Oct. 8 to express student opinion against Columbia Ordinance 21390, section 14-180, which mandates that only city buses can drive and park in front of the MU Student Center during class hours.

The resolution will be presented to the Campus Parking and Transportation Committee and the Campus Safety Committee during a meeting to create a university-wide stance on this issue.

Campus and Community Relations Committee chair Chad Phillips said the resolution shows that students take this issue seriously and will encourage them to take action.

The resolution passed, with one abstention from Senator Delan Ellington.

Senate unanimously confirmed junior Young Kwon as the new Social Justice Committee chairwoman. Young is also co-chairwoman of Four Front Minority Council and said she plans to tie the two organizations together.

Student Legal Services Coordinator Steve Concannon spoke about legal services offered to students. He also asked for travel money to attend a conference in order to keep his legal license.

He said he believes that even though he does not see the majority of the student population, one case can have a ripple effect through the community.

During the executive cabinet’s report, MSA Vice President Matt McKeown updated Senate on their “Enough is Enough” campaign. MSA representatives are currently advocating for students to take a pledge to raise awareness about sexual violence prevention.

The campaign’s purpose is to promote education and awareness about sexual assaults, McKeown said. It also encourages students to not be a passive bystander and encourages MSA to talk about the resources available.