On Campus

GPC will hold two forums for concerned student parents

Tags: GPC

The Graduate Professional Council will host two public forums, open to all professional and graduate students, April 2 and 3 in Stotler Lounge.

Both forums will moderated by GPC Vice President Eric Hucker, according to a GPC news release. Students with concerns about the closing of University Village apartments and the Student Parent Center child care facility may publicly voice their concerns in these settings.

The April 2 forum will run from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., and the April 3 forum will run from 7:30 to 10 p.m. Students who are unable to attend may contact Hucker with their comments, the news release said.

Naomi Clark, English doctoral candidate and student parent, said she hopes MU will consider three courses of action that student parents want to see happen: holding a meeting between Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin and the student parents, thoroughly assessing an evidence-based report compiled by the Family Friendly Campus Committee and shifting oversight of the Student Parent Center from Student and Auxiliary Services.

“As long as people are listening, we'll keep talking,” Clark said in an email.

Clark said she will also attend a Missouri National Organization of Women chapter meeting Thursday to speak on issues of discontinuing child care. Kimberly Bodner, a student parent who started a change.org petition urging MU to maintain Student Parent Center services, will also attend the chapter meeting.

The Student Parent Center opened in 1974 and will close June 30, along with the University Village apartment complex it is housed in. The complex will be demolished shortly after its closing.