Monday, June 26, 2017
On Campus

RHA passes multiple resolutions and funding requests in one of the last congressional meetings of th

Tags: RHA

A majority of the Residence Halls Association Congress on Nov. 30 was devoted to a budget presentation by Director of Residential Life Frankie Minor and Director of Campus Dining Services Julaine Kiehn.

During the Residential Life presentation, Minor detailed how an over $79 million budget will be spent over the next year. This included explaining how investments in things like new residence halls will affect the budget.

Kiehn also explained how CDS’s $30 million budget will be allocated for projects such as the replacement dining area that will be constructed in place of Pavilion at Dobbs dining hall.

Once the presentation ended, Congress moved on to approve two funding requests. The first was a request from the Women’s Leadership Conference. The conference will be held on March 12 in Memorial Union, and its goal is to bring female leaders together to discuss issues of leadership such as diversity.

RHA decided to give $750 to the conference, which makes it a gold sponsor under the conference’s standard. For this, RHA receives a mention in the event program, the RHA logo included in the conference’s slideshow, a social media spotlight and a link on the Center for Leadership and Service website.

RHA also approved the second funding request for $1,000, which will go towards the LGBTQ Resource Center’s Social Justice Symposium. The money will pay for a keynote speaker for the event, which takes place Feb. 20. The event focuses on programs created by students, staff and members of the community regarding social justice issues.

Congress then passed two new resolutions regarding smoking and labels on sexual product dispensers.

Congress passed the resolution to further prevent smoking on campus, which will introduce a fee that will be mandatory for all students, faculty and visitors who are caught smoking on campus. The fee is expected to be around $10 to $15. The resolution does not mention other forms of tobacco on campus other than cigarettes, such as chewing tobacco or electronic cigarettes.

The second resolution, which would change the labeling on sexual product dispensers from male and female condoms to internal and external condoms, also passed. This resolution came after the decision by Sexual Health Advocate Peer Education to use more inclusive labeling on their products.

The judicial board presented its third judicial opinion. Originally, all funding requests had to pass through the Operations Committee. However, since this procedure conflicts with multiple different sections of RHA’s constitution and has been proven to not always be necessary, the board concluded that funding requests can be passed through the appropriate committee before being seen by congress.

The judicial board will be holding elections for new justices Dec. 7. The nominees must first be nominated by members of congress and the nomination must be seconded by another member. Each potential justice will present a speech prior to elections and will be questioned on RHA bylaws by members of the executive board. The judicial board of RHA consists of three to seven justices.