Sunday, September 24, 2017
On Campus

Student Affairs chairwoman steps down, budget moves into third reading

The Missouri Students Association full Senate debated three pieces of legislation and one committee chair resigned.

Student Affairs Committee Chairwoman Abby Ivory-Ganja announced she is stepping down. The application for the next chair opens tonight along with the Campus and Community Relations Committee chair application.

Two acts were passed and the 2017 fiscal year budget was moved into its third reading.

Act 55-26 enabled students to petition MSA for legislation they would like to see implemented at MU. It mandates that MSA hears and issues an official opinion on any concern brought to Senate if that student has obtained 50 signatures. The act passed with two abstentions.

The act will become a part of the MSA bylaws rather than an amendment of the constitution. Senator Saad Malik said this is necessary because allows Senate to change the number of required signatures more easily.

Act 55-35 amended the bylaws to create a review process for the legislative cabinet. The bylaws now state that committee chairs will be subject to review by the senate speaker at the beginning of each semester. The act passed passed with one abstention.

Act 55-37 moved the MSA’s budget into its third reading. There were no amendments. The act passed unanimously.

Applications for parliamentarian and sergeant of arms will open over spring break.

Twenty-four senators were in attendance.

Edited by Waverly Colville | wcolville@themaneater.com