Saturday, October 1, 2016
City, State and Nation
News on a local and national level that matters to students.
Dec. 7, 2015

Terrorism affects MU study abroad programs

Posted to City, State and Nation by Bryanna Leach on Dec. 7, 2015 at 7:07 p.m.

In light of the recent terrorist attacks in Paris and the state of emergency that has been in effect in France since Nov. 13, the Trulaske College of Business Study Abroad Department will not be sending students to Paris during winter break, as was originally planned, they said in an ...

Bobby Jindal suspends presidential campaign

Posted to City, State and Nation by Lauren Wortman on Nov. 17, 2015 at 10:07 p.m.

Republican presidential candidate and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal suspended his campaign for president on Tuesday. Jindal failed to qualify for any of the four primary GOP debates during his campaign, and garnered only 3 percent in the polls. With his campaign falling short on funding, Jindal decided to withdraw from ...

Democrat Lincoln Chafee drops out of 2016 presidential race

Posted to City, State and Nation by Bryanna Leach on Oct. 25, 2015 at 12:10 p.m.

Presidential candidate Lincoln Chafee, a Democrat, announced Friday morning that he would be suspending his bid for president. In his speech at the Democratic National Committee's annual Women's Leadership Forum in Washington, D.C., Chafee continued to push his campaign’s mission, “prosperity through peace.” “The United States of America is so ...

Two months after canceling agreement, MU enters new contract with Planned Parenthood

Posted to City, State and Nation by Hailey Stolze on Oct. 21, 2015 at 9:28 p.m.

MU will enter new contracts with Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri after canceling agreements between the School of Medicine and the Sinclair School of Nursing almost two months ago, according to an Oct. 21 news release. The agreements originally ended after Sen. Kurt Schaefer, R-Columbia, held several hearings on ...

Biden will not run for president

Posted to City, State and Nation by Marilyn Haigh on Oct. 21, 2015 at 12:47 p.m.

Vice President Joe Biden announced Wednesday he will not run for president in the 2016 election. Biden delivered the news in a statement he made from the White House Rose Garden with President Barack Obama and his wife, Jill Biden. He said the grieving process for his son, Beau, who ...

Webb drops bid for democratic nomination

Posted to City, State and Nation by Marilyn Haigh on Oct. 20, 2015 at 7:18 p.m.

Former Virginia Senator Jim Webb announced Tuesday that he is ending his bid for the Democratic presidential nomination. In a statement on his website, Webb said he is withdrawing from the race due to views on issues that are “not compatible with the power structure and the nominating base of ...

Donald Trump’s tax plan to cut taxes for the middle class

Posted to City, State and Nation by Marilyn Haigh on Sept. 30, 2015 at 12:00 p.m.

Donald Trump announced a tax plan for his 2016 presidential campaign at a press conference in New York City on Tuesday. The plan includes four goals: tax relief for the middle class, tax code simplification, economic growth and reduction of the nation’s debt and deficit. “Essentially, the plan is a ...

Planned Parenthood advocates to flush Columbia with pink

Posted to City, State and Nation by Hailey Stolze on Sept. 28, 2015 at 11:43 p.m.

Columbia will be one of 230 areas thinking pink Tuesday afternoon, in response to national controversy regarding the ethics of Planned Parenthood. Speakers Circle will hold the first national “Pink Out Day,” hosted by the Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri. The day’s purpose is “to demonstrate the essential role ...

Columbia has the highest cost of living in Missouri

Posted to City, State and Nation by Marilyn Haigh on Sept. 28, 2015 at 4:00 p.m.

Columbia has the highest cost of living in Missouri, according to the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center. The center used grocery, housing, utilities, transportation, health and miscellaneous costs to calculate each index. High costs for housing, utilities and health gave Columbia the highest average index for the state. Missouri ...

Aug. 29, 2015

Shots fired and gun sighting trigger MU Alerts

Posted to City, State and Nation by Allyson Sherwin on Aug. 29, 2015 at 9:28 p.m.

The evenings of Aug. 27 and 28 were characterized by MU alerts warning students of potential gun threats. First, on Aug. 27, an older white Toyota Camry with five passengers drove past Lathrop Hall at 7:21 p.m. Three MU students were walking by the residence hall at the same time ...