Tuesday, October 6, 2015
City, State and Nation
News on a local and national level that matters to students.

Donald Trump’s tax plan to cut taxes for the middle class

Posted to City, State and Nation by Marilyn Haigh on Sept. 30, 2015 at 12:00 p.m.

Donald Trump announced a tax plan for his 2016 presidential campaign at a press conference in New York City on Tuesday. The plan includes four goals: tax relief for the middle class, tax code simplification, economic growth and reduction of the nation’s debt and deficit. “Essentially, the plan is a ...

Planned Parenthood advocates to flush Columbia with pink

Posted to City, State and Nation by Hailey Stolze on Sept. 28, 2015 at 11:43 p.m.

Columbia will be one of 230 areas thinking pink Tuesday afternoon, in response to national controversy regarding the ethics of Planned Parenthood. Speakers Circle will hold the first national “Pink Out Day,” hosted by the Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri. The day’s purpose is “to demonstrate the essential role ...

Columbia has the highest cost of living in Missouri

Posted to City, State and Nation by Marilyn Haigh on Sept. 28, 2015 at 4:00 p.m.

Columbia has the highest cost of living in Missouri, according to the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center. The center used grocery, housing, utilities, transportation, health and miscellaneous costs to calculate each index. High costs for housing, utilities and health gave Columbia the highest average index for the state. Missouri ...

Aug. 29, 2015

Shots fired and gun sighting trigger MU Alerts

Posted to City, State and Nation by Allyson Sherwin on Aug. 29, 2015 at 9:28 p.m.

The evenings of Aug. 27 and 28 were characterized by MU alerts warning students of potential gun threats. First, on Aug. 27, an older white Toyota Camry with five passengers drove past Lathrop Hall at 7:21 p.m. Three MU students were walking by the residence hall at the same time ...

July 23, 2015

UPDATED: Suspected outbreak of mumps in Columbia

Posted to City, State and Nation by Marilyn Haigh on July 23, 2015 at 12:37 p.m.

Update: Laboratory testing confirmed five of the seven suspected cases of mumps according to an email sent Thursday afternoon from the Office of the Provost. Results from the two other suspected cases are pending. Seven suspected cases of mumps have been identified in the Columbia area, according to a MU ...

July 22, 2015

Police investigate burglary near campus

Posted to City, State and Nation by Elizabeth Loutfi on July 22, 2015 at 6:26 p.m.

A burglary was reported to the MU Police Department at around 1 a.m. Wednesday from 1112 Hamilton Way, according to an MU Alert sent out to students. Columbia Police Department searched for a suspect until 1:40 a.m. Pursuit of the suspect led CPD both on and off MU’s campus. The ...

June 26, 2015

Strong-armed robbery reported on campus

Posted to City, State and Nation by Elizabeth Loutfi on June 26, 2015 at 10:01 p.m.

The University of Missouri Police Department issued a statement via email and social media regarding a strong-armed robbery Friday night that occurred around 9 p.m. on campus. The robbery happened at the corner of Hitt and Rollins streets. Capt. Brian Weimer said MUPD is currently looking for the suspects and ...

Weather conditions lead to high fire risk

Posted to City, State and Nation by Jackie Olson on March 13, 2014 at 12:57 p.m.

Boone County is at an elevated risk for fire danger Thursday afternoon, according to the National Weather Service in St. Louis. The Boone County Fire Protection District urged residents to be cautious. The special weather statement includes advisories for central, east central and southeast Missouri, where the combination of dry ...

Nixon orders flags half staff after firefighter’s death

Posted to City, State and Nation by Claire Boston on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:28 a.m.

On Tuesday, Gov. Jay Nixon ordered that U.S. and Missouri flags at state government buildings in Boone County be flown at half staff from sunrise to sunset Thursday to honor fallen Columbia firefighter Lt. Bruce Britt. Britt, of the Columbia Fire Department, died Saturday when responding to a walkway collapse ...

Dec. 2, 2013

City Staff Plans for possible snowstorms in Columbia

Posted to City, State and Nation by Sarah Wynn on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:28 a.m.

With winter approaching, City Staff are preparing in case Columbia sees another huge snowstorm similar to last year. Missouri’s weather can be drastic like it was last year or it can get no snow at all, Public Works spokesman Steve Sapp said. “Columbia can get none to fifty inches of ...