Thursday, July 30, 2015
City, State and Nation
News on a local and national level that matters to students.
July 23, 2015

UPDATED: Suspected outbreak of mumps in Columbia

Posted to City, State and Nation by Marilyn Haigh on July 23, 2015 at 12:37 p.m.

Update: Laboratory testing confirmed five of the seven suspected cases of mumps according to an email sent Thursday afternoon from the Office of the Provost. Results from the two other suspected cases are pending. Seven suspected cases of mumps have been identified in the Columbia area, according to a MU ...

July 22, 2015

Police investigate burglary near campus

Posted to City, State and Nation by Elizabeth Loutfi on July 22, 2015 at 6:26 p.m.

A burglary was reported to the MU Police Department at around 1 a.m. Wednesday from 1112 Hamilton Way, according to an MU Alert sent out to students. Columbia Police Department searched for a suspect until 1:40 a.m. Pursuit of the suspect led CPD both on and off MU’s campus. The ...

June 26, 2015

Strong-armed robbery reported on campus

Posted to City, State and Nation by Elizabeth Loutfi on June 26, 2015 at 10:01 p.m.

The University of Missouri Police Department issued a statement via email and social media regarding a strong-armed robbery Friday night that occurred around 9 p.m. on campus. The robbery happened at the corner of Hitt and Rollins streets. Capt. Brian Weimer said MUPD is currently looking for the suspects and ...

Weather conditions lead to high fire risk

Posted to City, State and Nation by Jackie Olson on March 13, 2014 at 12:57 p.m.

Boone County is at an elevated risk for fire danger Thursday afternoon, according to the National Weather Service in St. Louis. The Boone County Fire Protection District urged residents to be cautious. The special weather statement includes advisories for central, east central and southeast Missouri, where the combination of dry ...

Nixon orders flags half staff after firefighter’s death

Posted to City, State and Nation by Claire Boston on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:28 a.m.

On Tuesday, Gov. Jay Nixon ordered that U.S. and Missouri flags at state government buildings in Boone County be flown at half staff from sunrise to sunset Thursday to honor fallen Columbia firefighter Lt. Bruce Britt. Britt, of the Columbia Fire Department, died Saturday when responding to a walkway collapse ...

Dec. 2, 2013

City Staff Plans for possible snowstorms in Columbia

Posted to City, State and Nation by Sarah Wynn on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:28 a.m.

With winter approaching, City Staff are preparing in case Columbia sees another huge snowstorm similar to last year. Missouri’s weather can be drastic like it was last year or it can get no snow at all, Public Works spokesman Steve Sapp said. “Columbia can get none to fifty inches of ...

Wage014

Posted to City, State and Nation by Maggie Stanwood on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:07 p.m.

Missouri minimum wage will raise from $7.35 to $7.50 in January. The raise will put more money into the lower wealth section of the economy, said Daniel Sherwood, sophomore and Tiger Team Store assistant manager. “I think the way to fix our economic issues as a whole in the nation ...

Burton, review board discuss complaint handling

Posted to City, State and Nation by Mara Somlo on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:29 p.m.

Police Chief Ken Burton met with the Citizens’ Police Review Board on Wednesday to talk through issues of concern and listen to recommendations of how the Columbia Police Department can improve its relationship with the people of Columbia. Under the city’s Code of Ordinances, Burton is required to meet with ...

Attorney General decides not to retry Ryan Ferguson

Posted to City, State and Nation by Beatriz Costa-Lima on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:19 p.m.

Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster announced Tuesday that state prosecutors will not retry Ryan Ferguson. “After studying the appellate court's opinion in Ferguson v. Dormire and carefully reviewing the remaining known evidence in the case, the Attorney General's office will not retry or pursue further action against Ryan Ferguson at ...

Aspen Heights under lockdown after outbreak of crime

Posted to City, State and Nation by Maggie Stanwood on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:54 p.m.

Aspen Heights issued a temporary lockdown on the complex as a result of tenants and parents complaining of the crime, according to an email sent out by the complex. On Oct. 6, shots were fired in one of the Aspen Heights’ apartment buildings at a party being held there, and ...