Latest entries in City, State and Nation

News on a local and national level that matters to students.

Weather conditions lead to high fire risk

Boone County is at an elevated risk for fire danger Thursday afternoon, according to the National Weather Service in St. Louis. The Boone County Fire Protection District urged residents to be cautious. The special weather statement includes advisories for central, east central and southeast Missouri, where the combination of dry vegetation, relative humidity below 25 percent and southwest winds of 10 to 15 mph has created a high likelihood of fires. The district advises against ...

Nixon orders flags half staff after firefighter’s death

On Tuesday, Gov. Jay Nixon ordered that U.S. and Missouri flags at state government buildings in Boone County be flown at half staff from sunrise to sunset Thursday to honor fallen Columbia firefighter Lt. Bruce Britt. Britt, of the Columbia Fire Department, died Saturday when responding to a walkway collapse at University Village Apartments. He served at the fire department for 23 years. Columbia City Manager Mike Matthes ordered flags at municipal buildings be flown ...
Dec. 2, 2013

City Staff Plans for possible snowstorms in Columbia

With winter approaching, City Staff are preparing in case Columbia sees another huge snowstorm similar to last year. Missouri’s weather can be drastic like it was last year or it can get no snow at all, Public Works spokesman Steve Sapp said. “Columbia can get none to fifty inches of snow,” Sapp said. “It makes determining what resources we’ll need difficult. It’s all about balance. We’re never sure what will happen.” City Staff sent out ...

Wage014

Missouri minimum wage will raise from $7.35 to $7.50 in January. The raise will put more money into the lower wealth section of the economy, said Daniel Sherwood, sophomore and Tiger Team Store assistant manager. “I think the way to fix our economic issues as a whole in the nation is to put money back in the lower part of our economy, as opposed to hoping it trickles down,” Sherwood said. Missouri’s minimum wage is ...

Burton, review board discuss complaint handling

Police Chief Ken Burton met with the Citizens’ Police Review Board on Wednesday to talk through issues of concern and listen to recommendations of how the Columbia Police Department can improve its relationship with the people of Columbia. Under the city’s Code of Ordinances, Burton is required to meet with the board semi-annually. To satisfy an earlier request by CPRB to get complaints of police misconduct in a more timely fashion with greater detail, Sgt. ...

Attorney General decides not to retry Ryan Ferguson

Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster announced Tuesday that state prosecutors will not retry Ryan Ferguson. “After studying the appellate court's opinion in Ferguson v. Dormire and carefully reviewing the remaining known evidence in the case, the Attorney General's office will not retry or pursue further action against Ryan Ferguson at this time,” Koster said in a news release. The Missouri Court of Appeals, Western District, overturned last week the 2005 conviction of Ryan Ferguson for ...

Aspen Heights under lockdown after outbreak of crime

Aspen Heights issued a temporary lockdown on the complex as a result of tenants and parents complaining of the crime, according to an email sent out by the complex. On Oct. 6, shots were fired in one of the Aspen Heights’ apartment buildings at a party being held there, and Aug. 30, a home invasion and robbery took place at the complex, according to a Columbia Police Department news release. The email, sent to residents, ...

McCaskill, Blunt react to 'government shutdown'

The federal government shut down at 11 p.m. central time after Congress could not agree on a spending bill for the fiscal year beginning Tuesday. The House voted on two amendments to the spending bill Saturday evening. The first was to delay the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, President Barack Obama's health care overhaul for a year and the second was to repeal the health care bill's medical device tax. Although the House met ...

Missouri’s representatives react to president's remarks

Following President Barack Obama’s announcement last week that he would seek congressional approval before striking Syrian leader Bashar Al-Assad for possibly using chemical weapons last month, members of the Missouri congressional delegation reacted in various news releases. Representative Vicky Hartzler, R-Mo., held a conference call with residents of Columbia and the rest of District 4. . “Our conference call has further solidified my deep reservations, as 97 percent of participants expressed opposition to our involvement,” ...
June 28, 2013

Same-sex marriages resume in California

The Associated Press is reporting the U.S. appeals court in California lifted the hold on same-sex marriages Friday. This means same-sex marriages can resume there immediately. The U.S. Supreme Court dismissed an appeal over same-sex marriage on jurisdictional grounds Wednesday. In the opinion of the court, written by Chief Justice John Roberts, the court ruled private parties do not have standing to defend California's Proposition 8, a voter-approved ballot measure barring same-sex couples from state-sanctioned ...