Monday, July 28, 2014
City, State and Nation
News on a local and national level that matters to students.

Weather conditions lead to high fire risk

Posted to City, State and Nation by Jackie Olson on March 13, 2014 at 12:57 p.m.

Boone County is at an elevated risk for fire danger Thursday afternoon, according to the National Weather Service in St. Louis. The Boone County Fire Protection District urged residents to be cautious. The special weather statement includes advisories for central, east central and southeast Missouri, where the combination of dry ...

Nixon orders flags half staff after firefighter’s death

Posted to City, State and Nation by Claire Boston on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:28 a.m.

On Tuesday, Gov. Jay Nixon ordered that U.S. and Missouri flags at state government buildings in Boone County be flown at half staff from sunrise to sunset Thursday to honor fallen Columbia firefighter Lt. Bruce Britt. Britt, of the Columbia Fire Department, died Saturday when responding to a walkway collapse ...

Dec. 2, 2013

City Staff Plans for possible snowstorms in Columbia

Posted to City, State and Nation by Sarah Wynn on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:28 a.m.

With winter approaching, City Staff are preparing in case Columbia sees another huge snowstorm similar to last year. Missouri’s weather can be drastic like it was last year or it can get no snow at all, Public Works spokesman Steve Sapp said. “Columbia can get none to fifty inches of ...

Wage014

Posted to City, State and Nation by Maggie Stanwood on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:07 p.m.

Missouri minimum wage will raise from $7.35 to $7.50 in January. The raise will put more money into the lower wealth section of the economy, said Daniel Sherwood, sophomore and Tiger Team Store assistant manager. “I think the way to fix our economic issues as a whole in the nation ...

Burton, review board discuss complaint handling

Posted to City, State and Nation by Mara Somlo on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:29 p.m.

Police Chief Ken Burton met with the Citizens’ Police Review Board on Wednesday to talk through issues of concern and listen to recommendations of how the Columbia Police Department can improve its relationship with the people of Columbia. Under the city’s Code of Ordinances, Burton is required to meet with ...

Attorney General decides not to retry Ryan Ferguson

Posted to City, State and Nation by Beatriz Costa-Lima on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:19 p.m.

Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster announced Tuesday that state prosecutors will not retry Ryan Ferguson. “After studying the appellate court's opinion in Ferguson v. Dormire and carefully reviewing the remaining known evidence in the case, the Attorney General's office will not retry or pursue further action against Ryan Ferguson at ...

Aspen Heights under lockdown after outbreak of crime

Posted to City, State and Nation by Maggie Stanwood on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:54 p.m.

Aspen Heights issued a temporary lockdown on the complex as a result of tenants and parents complaining of the crime, according to an email sent out by the complex. On Oct. 6, shots were fired in one of the Aspen Heights’ apartment buildings at a party being held there, and ...

McCaskill, Blunt react to 'government shutdown'

Posted to City, State and Nation by Beatriz Costa-Lima on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:45 a.m.

The federal government shut down at 11 p.m. central time after Congress could not agree on a spending bill for the fiscal year beginning Tuesday. The House voted on two amendments to the spending bill Saturday evening. The first was to delay the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, President ...

Missouri’s representatives react to president's remarks

Posted to City, State and Nation by Nathan Coffing on Sept. 13, 2013 at 7:08 p.m.

Following President Barack Obama’s announcement last week that he would seek congressional approval before striking Syrian leader Bashar Al-Assad for possibly using chemical weapons last month, members of the Missouri congressional delegation reacted in various news releases. Representative Vicky Hartzler, R-Mo., held a conference call with residents of Columbia and ...

June 28, 2013

Same-sex marriages resume in California

Posted to City, State and Nation by Beatriz Costa-Lima on June 28, 2013 at 5:57 p.m.

The Associated Press is reporting the U.S. appeals court in California lifted the hold on same-sex marriages Friday. This means same-sex marriages can resume there immediately. The U.S. Supreme Court dismissed an appeal over same-sex marriage on jurisdictional grounds Wednesday. In the opinion of the court, written by Chief Justice ...