Thursday, October 30, 2014
News on a local and national level that matters to students.

McCaskill posts potentially rule-breaking tweet

With a click of a mouse, Missouri’s senior U.S. Senator might have violated Senate policy.

Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., sent out a tweet Friday afternoon containing two links: one to a YouTube video of her delivering a speech on the Senate floor which was captured by C-SPAN cameras, and the other to her campaign website, Politico reported. According to a Senate rule, members may not use television coverage of Senate proceedings for political purposes.

“First please watch this. bit.ly/tJjriQ Then do this: bit.ly/cmc_infr Thank you,” the tweet read.

The link to the video contained a speech in which McCaskill introduced an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act to shift funding from road and bridge building projects in Afghanistan to similar construction projects in the United States.

According to a standing Senate rule, however, the second link that re-directed followers to her website should be prohibited.

“The use of any tape duplication of radio or television coverage of the proceedings of the Senate for political campaign purposes is strictly prohibited,” the rule states.

McCaskill has since corrected the error and posted a different tweet.

Dec. 2, 2011 at 11:34 p.m.

Rev Egg Plant: You'll note that the petition that's being pointed out is meant to ask citizens to cosponsor a bill she'd like to introduce to the floor, and is not meant to promote her campaign? I don't see the connection.

May 17, 2012 at 9:33 p.m.

Brittanyy Yeisleyd: Itis my first visit to this web site, and I am really surprised to see such a fastidious quality YouTube video posted at this point.