Tuesday, September 26, 2017
News on a local and national level that matters to students.

Democrat Lincoln Chafee drops out of 2016 presidential race

Presidential candidate Lincoln Chafee, a Democrat, announced Friday morning that he would be suspending his bid for president.

In his speech at the Democratic National Committee's annual Women's Leadership Forum in Washington, D.C., Chafee continued to push his campaign’s mission, “prosperity through peace.”

“The United States of America is so strong militarily, economically and culturally that we can take chances for peace,” Chafee said at the forum. “In fact, as a strong mature world leader, we must take chances for peace. If we have courage, if we take risks, we can have prosperity through peace, not just in the United States, but all over the world.”

Chafee has been an underdog to Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and, until he announced this week that he was not running, Joe Biden. In a recent Des Moines Register/Bloomberg Politics Iowa poll, Chafee received less than one percent support from likely voters as either their first or second choice.

Although Chafee ran as a Democrat, he has identified as a Republican and an Independent in the past. He started his career in 1999 when he took over his father’s Senate seat as a Republican. He lost his seat in 2006 and left the Republican Party in 2007. He was elected governor of Rhode Island four years later as an Independent. He joined the Democratic Party in the middle of his term and announced in June he would be running for president.