Sunday, September 24, 2017
News on a local and national level that matters to students.

Terrorism affects MU study abroad programs

In light of the recent terrorist attacks in Paris and the state of emergency that has been in effect in France since Nov. 13, the Trulaske College of Business Study Abroad Department will not be sending students to Paris during winter break, as was originally planned, they said in an email.

The college’s program “Winter Intersession in Europe” was scheduled to travel to Paris and London from Dec. 27 to Jan. 12 to visit with international companies and compare economic markets of the cities, but will now spend the entire trip in the United Kingdom. According to the program’s website, 50 to 60 students go on the trip with professor Steve Ferris.

“We chose not to cancel the program entirely because we believe that international experiences are critical for the development of future business professionals,” Director of International Relations Gay Albright said in an email. “The Trulaske College of Business Study Abroad Department and professionals that teach study abroad courses will continue to follow safety and security protocols and stress the importance of safety measures to our students.”

MU spokesman Christian Basi said the International Center “is not recommending changes to itineraries at this time.”